Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Mom - Day 19

I don't think there is a greater joy on earth than watching American Idol with Lily sleeping in the pack and play next to me - while I sip a glass of wine. She makes all these little wimper sounds that make it seem like she's going to cry but she doesn't. It makes me wonder if she's a happy baby or if she's wimpering over the fact that it takes me so long to warm up her bottle and that by the time I get it to her she's downloaded into panic and wails and screams until it's finally ready and she gets to eat. If she hadn't rejected my breast on day 1 then I wouldn't have had to resort to pump and refridgerate and reheat. Then she smiles and laughs and makes all these giggly noises so I must be doing something right. Man, this girl loves to eat. Loves to eat.

I'll have to write more later - she's starting to wake up and the pump. refridgerate. reheat cycle is about to begin again.

It's amazing how having a baby disrupts even the most tedious of routines. My day pre-baby use to begin with reading the newspaper for about a good hour and a half. I'd read the paper, watch the Today Show, drink my coffee and slowly begin my day. My day would end with me watching/falling asleep to Sex and the City at around 10 or 10:30. I'd sleep for my usual 7 to 8 hours and begin the next day all over again pretty much the same way. I have yet to read the newspaper or watch an episode of Sex and the City...since baby. Now my days and nights are pretty much meshed together. I try to get about 2.5 hours of sleep at a time. I'm up around 1ish and then again around 3ish and 6ish. I usually go back to bed after the 6/7ish feeding and sleep until about 9. That extra 1.5 hours seems to be the dividing line between functional and non-functional. Last night I handed Lily off to my husband to feed her and went upstairs to watch Sex and the City. I laid my head down at 9:55 and didn't wake up until 1:00 when he brought her upstairs and laid her in her crib next to me. One of these days I'll get to watch it again. I'm not missing much since I've seen every episode a half dozen times and I'd much rather be watching her anyway than a TV show...she's much more entertaining.

My husband started back to work today. It has been so great having him home to help. I wish he could stay home with me the entire three months but that isn't financially possible for us. I'm thankful he got to be off work for almost three weeks especially since I had to have a C-section. My mom came over today in the afternoon and my friend Jocelyn stopped by in the morning for awhile. It's nice to have friends/family stop over during the day - it helps break the day up and make it go faster until B gets home from work.

Time for another feeding. More later.


Thalia said...

sounds like you are coping well.

Not sure if you want to, but it is possible to get some babies back to the breast after an initial refusal. I managed it via nipple shields, which I then managed to ditch after about 2 weeks or so.

Hope all continues to go well.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for providing a link to your new blog. Im excited to follow along and watch Lilly grow. Im sure your life will never be the same, in a good way that is!

Keeping The Faith said...

I'm so glad that you haven't stopped blogging! I look forward to many updates and pictures on how all of you are doing. Lily is just beautiful. I am so happy for you Kate!


Heather said...

Thanks for the link to your new blog. Lily is such a cutie! Love the way you explained your days pre-Lily and post-Lily. I love Sex and the City too, and no matter how many children I would have, I would understand if my girlfriend's Manolos were stolen from my party! Not that I have any Manolos, but a girl can understand. I do have a pair of Dolce & Gabbana shoes, does that count?